In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
- Bringing home your new pet This ASPCA article provides some good suggestions on preparing for your new pet.
- The American Kennel Club The AKC website has a guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- Animal Behavior
- Great Pets Dog Training Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson, best-selling authors of Good Owners, Great Dogs. They are recognized experts on animal training and behavior. This site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about houses soiling, barking, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Dr. Sophia Yin -The Art and Science of Animal Behavior World renowned veterinary behaviorist, Dr. Yin, published many helpful books on animal behavior and training (for both vets and pet owners). See her website for helpful training videos.
- PetMD An all around great resource for pet owners. All articles are written by veterinarians.
- Association for Pet Obesity Prevention Obesity is a significant health problem in our pet population. This website contains great tools for pet owners who want to help their pet lose weight, including a database of calorie information for most commercial pet foods.
- ASPCA Poison Control Center
This is the website of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a searchable library of poisonous plants and a phone number for the poison control hotline.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- AAFCO - Understanding Pet Food Labels This is the website for the Association of American Feed Control Officials, the agency that oversees pet food labels and ingredients. Learn how to decipher pet food labels and see ingredient definitions.
- Choosing the best pet food- what you need to know The World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA) published this article to help owners know what to look for when selecting a pet food.
- Understanding nutritional advice on the internet The WSAVA published this article to help owners critically evaluate nutritional information found on the internet. Also provides list of reliable and educational pet nutrition websites.
- Pet Nutrition Alliance This website is an all around great resource for pet owners looking for additional nutritional guidelines. Includes information on how to decipher pet food labels as well as updates on current food recalls.
- Heartgard Heartworm Control This site is sponsored by Merial, the makers of Heartgard for dogs. It contains information on heartworm disease and how Heartgard works to prevent this deadly illness.
- American Heartworm Society The AHS website contains guidelines and information on the prevention, diagnosis and management of heartworm disease.
- Pet Loss Support and Resources
- Rainbow Bridge
Anyone who has ever lost a pet should read this lovely poem. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members
- Pet Loss Support ASPCA sponsored site that includes tips on how to cope with the terrible sadness of losing a beloved pet. Includes the number for the Pet Loss Hotline.
- American Veterinary Medical Association The AVMA is the governing body for all veterinarians in the United States. This site is a good place to learn more about current events in veterinary medicine.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is an organization for veterinarians who work with cats. They provide recommendations to both veterinarians and pet owners on how best to care for cats. Their website contains lots of good information regarding feline health.
- International Cat Care Another excellent resource for feline information including articles on cat behavior and helpful videos (how to administer pills, give subcutaneous fluids, etc).
- American Animal Hospital Association AAHA is an accrediting body for small animal hospitals that ensures industry standards are met. AAHA accreditation is optional. River Forest Animal Hospital is proud to be an AAHA hospital. The AAHA website provides information on what it means to be accredited and has many helpful and informative links for pet owners.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council VOHC is an organization comprised of board certified veterinary dentists. Their website has a list of recommended products to help maintain your pet's oral health.
- Pet Insurance -should I get it? This article is written by a pet owner who discusses some very important points about the value of pet insurance. Worth a read if you want to know more about whether or not pet insurance is right for you!
- Quality of Life Scale Knowing when it's the right time to euthanize a beloved pet can be difficult. This worksheet guides you through some important questions to ask yourself when evaluating the quality of life of your pet.